What Should I Do When My Ex Isn't Following a Court Order?

A lot of people involved in a divorce think once the final judgement is entered, the hard part is over. However, many different post-decree issues can arise as a result of one party not following the court order. In this case, the complying party will first need to file a Petition for Rule to Show Cause with the court, asking the court to determine from the opposing party why the judgement isn't being followed. 

If a party is willfully violating an order, he/she can be held in contempt of court and be ordered to pay compensation to the opposing party. However, if the violation is not willful, for example if a party is supposed to make a lump sum payment and simply doesn't have the money, the court will try to work out a resolution to reach the end result indicated by the judgement. 

If you are experiencing a situation like this, contact our divorce attorneys for a free consultation to discuss your options.

Categories: Family Law

Contact Us For a Free Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


This is one of the most common questions asked of criminal attorneys. There are pros and cons to each side. If you choose not to submit to either the field sobriety or breathalyzer test, then the police must make a decision on whether to arrest you w… Read More
This is a common question we receive from sellers when a buyer puts down earnest money and then simply walks away from a transaction. First of all, a purchase agreement is a contract, so a party cannot just choose not to perform their contractual obl… Read More